Christ Church School began as a vision of the Rev. Joseph Dobbins, rector of Christ Church from 1930 to 1966. At the parish meeting in February of 1957, he proposed a parish day school that would start with a kindergarten and first grade, then add a grade each year. In the fall of that same year, the Christ Episcopal Church Parish Day School opened with two teachers and sixteen students.
Ten years later, Mr. Dobbins retired and the school reported an enrollment of twenty-one students. In January of 1971, the Rev. Joseph DiPaola was instituted as rector. During his twenty year tenure, the school grew considerably. In the fall of 1974, the school began to offer a first grade with seven students. Two months later, parishioner Mrs. McGowen donated the money for the purchase of additional property, and the name of the school was changed to “The McGowen-Stephens School of Christ Episcopal Church."
In 1979, the present school building was constructed and considerable growth followed. However, by the fall of 1988 only pre-school and kindergarten were offered, and this would continue for the next fifteen years.
In the fall of 2004, Ms. Margaret Alwine became the director and led the school to become a classical elementary school in the Episcopal tradition, committed to academic excellence. The decision was made to rename the school Christ Church School to better reflect this new direction, and when Ms. Alwine retired in 2012, CCS was serving pre-kindergarten through fifth grade. After a year of interim leadership by Kathy Sullivant, the trustees hired Dr. Betsy Carpenter as Head of School. With her leadership, we have embarked on a bold vision of expanding to include a middle school, beginning with the addition of sixth during the 2013-14 school year, a seventh grade class during the 2014-2015 school year and adding eighth grade for the 2015-2016 school year. These are truly some of the most exciting times in the storied history of Christ Church School.
Christ Church School remains an important mission of Christ Episcopal Church, Temple. The Church is committed to both spiritual and financial support of the school. Church members provide financial aid scholarships offered by the School and